About the Department
Muralidhar Girls’ College established in 1940 (NAAC Accredited B++ in 2016), a pioneer educational institution in the heart of South Kolkata-West Bengal, is fulfilling its 77 years of educational and social commitments. Thousands of girl students, mainly from socio-economically backward society, many of them first-generation learners, have fulfilled their aspiration of higher studies in this College with value added quality education. Now, in continuation with this proud legacy, the College sincerely adopts a policy of introducing need based curricular programs. The department of Physics of our College got its affiliation as General subject from the University of Calcutta in 2016 and has been introduced in the Academic Session 2017-18 with the prospect of uplifting the Pure Science wing. It is being offered as an elective subject with Mathematics Honours, Chemistry Honours, and B.Sc. General Course.
The justification of introducing Physics General Course in Muralidhar Girls’ College:
- Physics is the batsis for most modern technology,
- Physics provides quantitative and analytic skills needed for analyzing data and solving problems in the sciences, engineering and medicine, economics, finance, management, law and public policy.
- Physics helps us to understand how the world around us works,
- Physics helps us to organize the universe.
- Schools without qualified physics teachers cut their students off from a host of well-respected, well paying careers.
- Students who study physics do better on SAT, MCAT and GRE tests. Physics majors do better on MCATs than bio or chemistry majors.
- Majoring in physics provides excellent preparation for graduate study not just in physics, but in all engineering and information/computer science disciplines; in the life sciences including molecular biology, genetics and neurobiology; in earth, atmospheric and ocean science; in finance and economics; and in public policy and journalism.
Physics as career options:
- Teaching Profession.
- The job market for those with skills in physics is more diverse and is always strong.
- Because physics encourages quantitative, analytical and “big picture” thinking, physicists are more likely to end up in top management and policy positions than other technical professionals.
- College physics courses are challenging, because they require us to master the many concepts and skills that make training in physics so valuable in such a wide range of careers.
Designation: State Aided College Teacher, SACT & HOD