History of the College
Muralidhar Girls' College began as a girls' school with a small number of students in 1919. The founder was Sri Muralidhar Bandyopadhyay, Principal of Sanskrit College, a well-known scholar and educationist, whose dream was to inspire in young women the ideals of national tradition and culture. His dream was fulfilled later on July 8th, 1940 when the school developed into Ballygunge Girls' College with the distinguished educationist Sri Nalini Mohan Shastri as Principal. In 1945 the College was permanently affiliated to the University of Calcutta and a year later it was renamed Muralidhar Girls' College as a mark of respect to the founder's memory. His worthy son, Sri Hironmoy Bandyopadhyay, IAS, Ex Vice-Chancellor, Rabindra Bharati University, became Vice President of the College Governing Body and arranged a grant of 3 lakh from the Government of India for the construction of a 3 storied building on Gariahat Road, where the college has since been housed. The College is at present enlisted in the UGC panel of recognized colleges (in West Bengal) under section 2(f) & 12(B) of the UGC Act. It is also registered under West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961. The total land area of the College is 0.25253 acre, over which it has undisputed ownership. The total constructed area is 3134.5 square meters.